Pages marked with * require logging in
NAMHO records show that this organisation had not paid the annual subscription to NAMHO when last checked. If you know that the subscription has been paid, please contact the webmaster to have this message removed. Checks will be made periodically to establish whether subscriptions have been paid.
Combe Martin Silver Mine
Research and Preservation Society
|Contact:||Secretary||Year formed: 2001|
|Email:||cmsmsoc [at] aol.com||Membership: 50|
|Area of interest:||Mine research and preservation|
|Main geographical areas:||
|Classes of membership:||Only one class of membership - £10 per annum|
|Publications:||Society Newsletter -four times a year|
|Owned or leased site
or access controlled:
|By private arrangement only|
|Current projects:||Activities as above|
Last updated: 30/10/2017
Knap Down engine house, Combe Martin. The engine installed here in 1843 was a Sims combined cylinder, 26"/50", used for pumping in the adjoining shaft. Over the last thirty years the ivy has really taken hold on the surviving stonework compare with the photograph in Atkinson, Exmoor's Industrial Archaeology, (1997), facing p. 96.
Unlike other sites at Combe Martin, access is restricted ensuring survival of some features but limiting the
options for conservation.
Printed on: 06/12/2019